This Long Copy Sales Letter Structure Should Help You
One of the questions I often get asked is why a long copy sales letter is used in online marketing. The short answer is they are used because they work. While you personally might be a quick decision maker and don’t want to read through all the pages of copy, most people are not quick decision makers. They hesitate, or have questions, and they want reassurance before they purchase – even if it is just a dollar “try me” purchase.
Most prospects want reassurance before they buy. That’s why the long copy sales letter is so often used. It’s a stand-in for you being on the phone with a potential customer to answer every tiny little question she may have, or offering reassurance to her.
The thing is, when you sit down to actually write a long copy sales letter it’s hard to remember all the parts you should have in it. So I’ve dissected 4 successful long copy sales letters and set out all the parts for you. I also recommend two very useful books. The first is Michele PW’s Love-Based Copywriting System: A Step-by-Step Process to Master Writing Copy That Attracts, Inspires and Invites. The second book I strongly recommend is Ray Edwards’ book, How to Write Copy that Sells.
Get These Pieces Together Before You Write Your Long Copy Sales Letter
Before you sit down to pull together your sales letter you’ll need these parts at your fingertips:
- Graphic materials – your logos, pictures of the product or pictures that represent what you are selling (like people in a group for a mastermind, for instance)
- Testimonials (videos and written) with pictures of the people doing written testimonials
- Social proof for yourself and/or the thing for sell
- Full description of the benefits to the buyer of what you are selling
- Your shopping cart set up with links for your buy button
- A countdown timer to install on your sales page if you are going to use one
- The subject line for your email.
TIP: Your subject line is THE most important thing to nail. If it doesn’t cause your reader to open your e-mail none of the rest of your work will matter at all!
Having all these parts pulled together will make the writing go a lot faster and be less frustrating for you.
The Parts of a Long Copy Sales Letter
This is a sample structure, which you can vary to suit your needs. The sales letters that perform (convert) the best include each of these elements.
- Introduction video about your offer, 2 to 4 minutes in length, with testimonials, offer explanation, and ending testimonials
- Name of what you are selling
- Purpose of what you are selling
- Countdown timer with link to purchase (put your purchase link near the top, middle, and end of your sales letter)
- Call to the correct target audience
- Statement of problems
- Name of what you are selling again (after your statement of problems)
- Explanation of what you are selling (benefits, not features, using emotional words)
- Social proof
- Personal story related to what you are selling
- More explanation of benefits with short statements and graphics (point by point)
- Why your solution is better or different
- Countdown timer and buy button (again)
- More testimonials (videos are best) at least 4
- Statement of benefits again, this time in bullet format
- Overview of your system (5 parts, for instance, and what each part of the system does)
- Social proof again
- Samples of what is being bought (sample video or checklist or whatever)
- Statement of the cost, scarcity (it’s limited), try it risk free (maybe a $1 trial membership, for example)
- Buy button again
- Social proof of who you are, mentions in press.
- FAQs (frequently asked questions)
- Introduction of your team if your buyer needs a sense of the size or scope of your business
- Countdown timer again and buy button
You may feel like this is a LOT for a long copy sales letter, but it’s not. Remember that the purpose of using this type of sales letter is to handle any objections that a prospective buyer may come up with. I’ve actually seen a long form sales letter used for even a one buck trial of a membership site!
If you have a formula for your sales letters I’d love if you would share it here, or leave a comment and let me know if this structure for writing a long copy sales letter is helpful for you.
Want more about sales letters and related topics? You can read about split testing in this blog post. http://confidentmarketer.com/what-is-split-testing/
Need help pulling together your offer or pricing? Contact me for a consultation.