There's an art to asking, for sure.
- Ask firmly but politely.
- Push pass any “first no” that you get by asking why what you have asked for isn't possible.
- Ask to speak with the person whose decision it is to make.
- Explain in only one succinct sentence why you are asking.
- Do business with those whose mindset is “let's make this happen” instead of “it's not our policy.”
- Let the other party know, very politely, what the consequences of a no answer will mean. (They may or may not care.)
I've worked with more than one business owner who tells me “I'm too shy to ask.” Leadership demands stepping up and out of your comfort zone. Owning a business means learning how to ask.
Want a speaking engagement? Want more clients or customers? Want the graphic designer to make a change to what you paid for? Want less tomato and more cucumber on your salad? Just ask. Ask for what you want and be ready to receive.
Want to hear more about growing yourself to grow your business? Here's a video about getting the right mindset for owning a business.
Do you ask? For what? Leave your comment below!