I’ve spent a lot of time listening to self-employed folks talk about why things aren’t happening in their business. I like listening and discerning where a person is stuck, bringing that to their attention, and then helping the person decide whether she wants to do what it takes to get unstuck. Many of the issues are related to consistency and follow-up. But one key factor that shows up pretty often is a lack of support from spouse, family, friends. Lack of support comes in several flavors, neither of them very tasty. The first is doubtful or negative response, and the second is out-and-out sabotage of your entrepreneurial endeavors.
There are many reasons lack of support from spouse, family, and friends occurs, which I talk about in my e-book. But no matter the reason, you are the one suffering from the lack, and you’re also the one who can take steps to end it. And the first step is to recognize you’re getting slammed to begin with. This is what amazes me – I talk to clients all the time who don’t even see that they are being doubted and sabotaged. Which really, really makes me sad. So today let me give you just a few questions – see if any of these sound like you.
- Do you wish you could get your spouse to listen when you have a great business idea, without one ear being glued to the TV while you’re talking?
- You went into business to help out financially, but every time you need to spend money on your business you are met with doubt and fear about what you want to do.
- You want to succeed so that you can give your children help with college tuition, but they complain about helping around the house more to free up your time to work.
- You feel sad and maybe a little frustrated that your friends don’t want to share your business successes.
- Your parents ask you over and over again “wouldn’t it be better to just go get a job?”
Whether it is very subtle or openly doubtful, a lack of support sabotages you. It’s very easy to get discouraged when you mostly get questions, doubt, fear-based reactions, and lip when you talk about your business. Your business will flourish when you feel supported – and there are ways to end the sabotage so that you don’t stay stuck. My e-book How To Get Support For Your Business From Your Spouse, Family & Friends will give you ways to identify and change this. If lack of support is the key factor hurting your business success, please get the e-book and get unstuck. You’ll feel and act much more like a confident entrepreneur.