How It Really Does Help If You Niche Your Target Market

Listen UpI frequently get asked questions by small business owners about their target market. Usually, we are reluctant to narrow our niche because we feel like the wider we cast it the more potential prospects we will have. But part of calling to the people you can best serve is to describe them as best you can so that they hear what you are saying and their mind leaps to “I need that kind of help!” The better you can describe who you do your best work with, the better your chances that a prospect will respond and come toward you.

Not long ago I did a workshop about having an easy and smooth sales conversation with someone who had not yet spent money with you. Almost always, if you feel hesitant and bumbling when you talk with someone about your products and services it’s because you have not gotten your sales conversation down – you are talking too broadly, trying to hit every single point that could possibly be made, taking the buckshot approach. The more you can be very specific about the value you offer the less hesitant and bumbling you will feel. And to do that, you need to call to a specific, niched target market. Talking about a specific niche opens people’s ears to what you are saying.

Here’s a quick test for you.  Who would you pay more attention to if you listening to small business owners introducing themselves?

“I am an attorney admitted to the bar in this state.”

“I am an attorney who works with individuals, not corporations.”

“I am an attorney who works with individual who need estate planning.”

“I am an attorney who specializes in estate planning for men and women who have inherited $1,000,000.00 in assets.”

The last statement will get the most attention. If you need estate planning and have a million in assets, you know this attorney can help you and has experience in doing exactly what you need. If you don’t need it, you might immediately have a friend or relative come to your mind who does need this type of help, and you are likely to mention meeting this attorney to them.

While an inexperienced small business owner will say that the first introduction gets the most highly interested prospects, a savvy business owner knows that statements like the last introduction work much better. You are clearly stating your ideal client, you are qualifying the prospect (they must be worth $1M or more), and you’re showcasing your special expertise – all that in one short sentence. Better yet, when you have that confidence you do not feel hesitant and bumbling when you speak with someone new. And that helps you make a great first impression, which in turn helps your sales.

If you need help with having a sales conversation that works, you might consider purchasing my e-course How To Have A Sales Conversation That Works.” You can check it out by clicking here. It’s another one of my low-cost, high value products that help small business owners like you.

Share on LinkedInShare on Google+Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestEmail this to someone
Subscribe to Sue’s weekly small business strategies update.

Comments

1. says

This is so true! When I started my business – I was doing the buckshot approach (love that term!). But as soon as I got clear on my real market and shared it with others, I landed clients who I could truly serve and I was much happier in my business.

2. says

Sue,

Great point. Clarity is key and the more specific we are the more likely we are to attract the right clients instead of not-so-ideal clients.

Write on!~

Lisa Manyon

3. says

Understanding your niche, or ideal client not only helps you be more purposeful with your communications and marketing, but it helps you land better, more fun , and more lucrative clients. I think people often forget that niching doesn’t mean eliminating people, it just means narrowing the focus of your message!

4. says

So true, Sue. Knowing your ideal client and speaking specifically to them will bring your more business than trying to serve everyone. People remember specificity and quickly forget generalized laundry lists.

5. says

Sue
    This is so important and often a tough issue for people who are concerned they’ll lose out on business. I know I felt like that but since focusing on my niche, everything works so much better – my messaging, my presentations, my introductions etc. I love your examples too and love that Heidi shared her her niche (another great example and a very clear niche)

What do I do?I educate and empower women worldwide about the healing powers of food in order to bring about life-enhancing mood transformations so they can eliminate anxiety, stress, depression and sugar cravings – and feel on top of the world!

Thanks
    Trudy

6. says

So many times I hear from my new clients “I work with everyone”. And, I know it’s the beginning of our “niche” coaching conversation. Thanks for laying this out so clear. This will be a go-to article for those who need to understand the power of target market…pep

7. says

So very true, Sue! I tell my clients over and over again that they will find that they attract much more easily if they have a target market in mind. Alas, many of them don’t listen and needlessly bang their heads against the wall in a futile effort to build their businesses, until, one day, they FINALLY get it! LOL

8. says

I totally agree with you Sue and yet even though I come from a marketing background when I started my first business I still tried to be everything to everyone!
    Since honing our niche the business flows so much better….what do I do?
    I work with leaders of mid to large organisations who want to improve engagement, keep top talent and grow new leaders.